Our dedication to Racial Equality and Social Justice (RESJ) spans decades. Learn more about our RESJ Initiative

time exposed photo of headlights in urban center

Graduate Counseling Programs Admission Requirements

Applicants must satisfy the requirements below in addition to the admissions requirements on your program’s Admissions page.

For undergraduate programs, see the Undergraduate Programs Admissions Requirements page.

All Degrees and Certificates

Official transcript of the required degree, conferred by a regionally or nationally accredited institution of higher education. You must request an official transcript to be sent directly to Cambridge College.

  • MEd and most graduate certificate programs require an earned bachelor’s degree. See also your program’s Admissions tab.
  • Post-master’s certificates require an earned master’s degree. See your program’s Admissions tab.
  • CAGS program requires an earned master’s degree. See also your program’s Admissions tab.
  • Alcohol and Drug Counseling certificate requires a high school diploma/GED, bachelor’s, or higher degree.
  • International transcripts must be translated and evaluated by an approved agency.
  • Transfer credit request - see Transferring Credits

Interview with and approval of the SOPC Admissions Committee and acceptance by the dean.

Current Résumé

Personal Statement - Write a 1-2 page essay (250-500 words) describing your reasons for obtaining a degree from Cambridge College, your professional experience and goals, and your academic background.

Two Professional Recommendations - Please use Applicant Recommendation form.

School Counseling, School Adjustment -
ESE Licensure Programs

Applicants to degrees and certificates preparing students for licensure in School Counseling or School Adjustment must also meet the admission requirements below.

MTEL Communication and Literacy Test - Candidates for state licensure are required to pass the Massachusetts Communication and Literacy test (MTEL) prior to admission into licensure programs. Submit a copy of the official document noting your pass score or verification page from the Educator Licensing and Recruitment (ELAR) system maintained by the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (ESE).

GPA of 3.0 - The official transcript of your prior bachelor’s or graduate degree is required to show a GPA of 3.0 or better.

Students entering without having met the MTEL requirements
are required to begin as follows:

  • If applying for School Counseling (48 credits):
    • GPA <3.0: Register for School Counseling/non-licensure
  • If applying for Mental Health & School Counseling (66 credits) or School Adjustment/Mental Health Counseling (60 credits):
    • GPA >3.0: Register for Mental Health Counseling
    • GPA <3.0: Register for Psychological Studies

Students are advised to take the Communication & Literacy MTEL within their first term at the College.

Once the MTEL is passed and a GPA of 3.0 earned in at least two Cambridge College courses, students may seek approval to become licensure candidates in School Adjustment or School Counseling.

Massachusetts Educator Personnel ID  (MEPID number) - If you do not have a MEPID number, please submit an application to receive one with the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (ME-ESE) and submit a copy of the official notification of the number along with the MTEL results for admission into the licensure program selected.

Program chair consultation and approval - Students should consult with the program chair regarding licensure requirements and seek approval to enter an ESE licensure program.